As you might already know, most video baby monitor cameras are built with a fixed lens, which is why the Infant Optics DXR-8 Baby Monitor unit is so special even in the Baby Paradise World. If it is an innovative baby monitoring gadget you are looking for, then there are several good reasons for you to read this review.
Interchangeable Lenses – the Biggest Benefit
The biggest selling point of the Infant Optics DXR-8 Baby Monitor must be the interchangeable lens. You can select the most suitable viewing angle and focal length for different environment.It is the first video baby monitor that comes with this technology throughout the industry. There are 3 different types of lenses available – Normal, Zoom and Wide Angle.
- The Aluminum Lens Hood is used on normal lens to offer a clear, crisp image. It covers the middle range and captures immediate surroundings of your baby to keep him safe.
- You can use the 2x Zoom Optical Lens to view the close-up of your sleeping baby. Unlike digital zoom feature of other video baby monitor such as Motorola MBP33, the optical zoom of the Infant Optics DXR-8 Baby Monitor does not deteriorate image clarity or resolution.
- Wide Angle Lens is not included in original pack, so you need to purchase one separately. It offers a 170 degree panoramic view of the room. It’s a great tool to watch over the active babies who tend to ‘explore’ the whole room.
Other Great Features Of The Infant DXR-8
1) Pan and Tilt Capacity
The pan and tilt capacity of this monitor is another cool feature that the DXR-5 module does not have. You are allowed to rotate the camera 270 degrees and tilt it up to 120 degrees.
In this way, you can follow the exact position of the baby.
Plus, the camera is quiet while you are remotely moving it so it won’t disturb your sleeping baby.
The Infant Optics DXR-8 allows you to have full remote control of the camera angles in pan, tilt and zoom.
The camera vision is relayed to the parent monitor in full color and clear viewing either day or night.
Better still, the Infant Optics DXR-8 allows you to connect up to 4 remote controlled cameras to the same parent monitor unit, which becomes an excellent and versatile monitoring system for you whole house.
2) Bigger LCD Screen
The Infant Optics DXR-8 Baby Monitor comes with a larger color LCD screen of 3.5” than DXR-5, though they both provide clear, crisp image of the same resolution.
The picture in automatic night vision mode is also crystal clear. You can view your baby easily without a lamp at night. And you can also adjust the contrast to turn the night vision brighter to see things clear.
3) Temperature Display
A room thermometer is included on the monitor unit. You will know if the nursery gets too cold or too hot for the baby.
4) Sound-Activated LED
This feature could be nice if you monitor your sleeping baby in noisy environment. In that case, you might not be able to hear the noise from the nursery, thus monitoring the sound level visually could help a lot.
5) Longer Battery Life
The Infant Optics DXR-8 comes with a long-lasting battery that can last up to 10 hours in power-save mode and 6 hours with the color LCD screen constantly turning on.
While the battery of the DXR-5 can only last up to 7-8 hours in optimum condition, which is also impressive compared to the competitors.
With a standard micro USB port on the parent unit, you can charge via any USB interface, which makes it more convenient to charge than the DXR-5.
6) 2-Way Talk
It’s an amazing feature that you can use to talk back to the baby to smooth him when he or she cries. It would be perfect if the manufacturer bundles some lullabies with the monitor unit so that you can remotely play them to the baby.
7) Out of Range Alarm
If you walk beyond the reception range, the out of range alarm will alert you. However, the DXR-5 unit does not include this feature.
I won’t go further on other features in this Infant Optics DXR-8 review, because they are just like the other module, and you can find the details on Amazon or in our Infant Optics DXR-5 review.
- The monitor unit generates annoying beeps when the LCD screen shuts down, which bothered some customers. But the company announced that this little issue had been fixed in all DXR-8 modules sold after March 1st 2014. And they are happy to provide the users a free replacement on the old module with a updated one.
- The microphone of the camera does not pick up slight noise of the nursery. Only when the baby is really crying can you hear the sound.
- When you charge the monitor, an indicator light is on. It’s bright enough to disturb you if placed in the bedroom at night.
The Infant Optics DXR-8 Baby Monitor is a cool video baby monitor that comes with exclusive and impressive features, especially the interchangeable lens.
It’s much more versatile than the Infant Optics DXR-5, though the price is twice as much as it. Besides, it’s not inferior to any best baby monitor available on the market, such as Samsung baby monitor and Summer Infant baby monitor.
The Infant Optics DXR-8 Baby Monitor is our choice for the best baby monitor on the market because it has received top reviews from a wide range of users. The Infant Optics DXR-8 also ticks our box for the features that are provided with this excellent baby monitor system.
First and foremost is that even though this baby monitor comes packed with features, it is also a very affordable baby monitor system.
At well under $200 on Amazon, this is one of the top ten best baby monitors.
When we looked at the best baby monitor reviews, there is no doubt that those who have purchased the Infant Optics DXR-8 are very happy with the device, and it does a great job for them.
If you want to check out and compare all the best video baby monitors, then have a browse at all our in depth reviews before making a decision.
- 2018 AWARD WINNER: Popular Mechanics Best Baby Monitor, 9/25/18
- Interchangeable optical lens capability: allows you to customize viewing angle and zoom
- Unlike internet cameras: no loading time to open app. Instant playback, lag-free, and does not hog up your smartphone screen thanks to a dedicated 3.5” screen
- 100% digital privacy: no video or sound passed through the internet
- Remote pan/tilt/zoom